You may be wondering, just what exactly makes this holiday route so special? Well, other than being a historical treasure, this holiday route gives tourists the opportunity to travel back in time and experience true German culture.This scenic route links Würzburg and Füssen. Both of these locations are worth seeing by themselves but taking the drive along the Romantic Road can offer travel enthusiasts with the ultimate storytelling experience.
The history behind The Romantic Road
Things to do along the way
This scenic route offers more than meets the eye! However, what you are originally met with is red geraniums overflowing from village window boxes, grand historic castles standing tall against a unique medieval backdrop and unspoilt greenery from the surrounding countryside. Simply unforgettable.
But there’s so much more you can do along the way than just sightseeing!
- Stop off at a local restaurant and dine in style in a romantic courtyard. There is a wonderful selection of local, family-run restaurants along this route that can offer you a true taste of German cuisine. Complement your freshly cooked meal with enchanting surroundings and the hustle and bustle of local life.
- Take a leisurely stroll through picture-perfect parks. If you’re taking a few days to drive across this route, you’ll need to allow yourself some time to stretch your legs and bask in the gentle afternoon sun. Where better to do this than in unspoilt parks dappled with sun and full of life?
- Explore the historic castles in all their splendour. Looking to get up to scratch on German history? You’ll have plenty of opportunities to do this during your trip of The Romantic Road. We thoroughly recommend investigating Crazy King Ludwig’s Neuschwanstein Castle based in Schwangau, near the main town of Füssen especially if you’re a fan of the classic film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
- Take a trip through a thousand years of rich history by stopping off in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Experience the middle-ages coming to life before your very own eyes and take in the sights of medieval towns. There’s also plenty of opportunities to recharge your batteries here due to it being surrounded by nature.
- Looking to experience a true spa resort experience? Then a trip to the popular spa town Bad Mergentheim is definitely something worth adding to your itinerary. As well as having the famous mineral waters, Bad Mergentheim also has a rich history making it a perfect place if you want to do and see different things.
- The historic city of Augsburg presents itself with a great past and with incredible monuments as a testament to its history. Take a trip to the town hall with its golden hall, take in the impressive industrial architecture or see the Three Magnificent Fountains. Augsburg boasts the Fuggerei, the world’s oldest social housing development founded by the business magnet Jakob Fugger in 1521. To add to this, there is the modern Fugger and Welser museum, not forgetting the Mozart House and Brecht Museum.
- Würzburg is a great place to visit, and for more than just its incredible wine! It is renowned for the Residence, one of the finest and famous palaces in Europe and reflects a high point in Baroque art. Make sure you take in the sights of one of its most famous structures, Festung Marienberg. This fortress is worth the long climb up to reach it through the beautiful vineyards.
We’ve summarised some useful tips and tricks to help you if you’re thinking of planning a trip to Germany to experience the Romantic Road.
- There are some routes along the road that can be taken by train, but please keep in mind there is no direct route from North to South and you may have to take some deviations on the route, but if you’re the adventurous type, this could be for you.
- If you’re thinking of planning a trip along this famous holiday route, we can help to plan you a truly bespoke holiday experience. All you need to do is give us as much information as possible about what you want to see, dates you want to travel, preferred accommodation style and anything else you can think of and we’ll do all the hard work for you.
- If you’re a wine enthusiast, we offer varied wine holidays for the independent traveller. We thoroughly recommend you plan in a visit to Würzburg, located in the heart of Franconia (Northern Bavaria) wine growing region. Würzburg is very well known for its fantastic wines, and you can even try and plan your trip around their wine festivals.
- The Romantic Road is naturally very popular and can get especially crowded in the summer months as tourists flock to take in the beauty. If you’d prefer, you can experience The Romantic Road in autumn or spring to avoid some of the traffic and crowds. We promise it’s beautiful at any time of the year! Christmas Market time has a special magical atmosphere all of its own.
- We personally recommend you join a guided tour with a night watchman in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Listen to entertaining facts as you adventure through the dark and enjoy the special mood of this town at night. We can help to arrange this tour for you if you’re interested!
Plan your holiday along The Romantic Road now!
Feeling inspired to pack a suitcase, jump in the car and begin an adventure along The Romantic Road? We don’t blame you! If you need some guidance to get you started, we can help! We have comprehensive knowledge of Germany, so we can help to create a bespoke holiday experience tailored to your specific needs and requirements.
We listen to your needs and requirements no matter how specific or complex and create a personalised itinerary that is focused on what you want to do, see and when you want to travel. Holidays like this are so unique and it’s our aim to make sure you get the most out of your trip along The Romantic Road so you can come home with amazing stories to tell and fond memories you’ll cherish forever.
Just get in touch with us here at Travel without Borders today and we can get the ball rolling for you.